Arriving in the Netherlands was a wonderful experience since I was anxious and a little bit nervous to see members of my extended family. The only strange part was that I didn't really know them at all - it was all set up through my mother (thanks mom).
We were picked up at the train station by my cousin Angelique and taken to the outskirts of a small village known as Vessem. Immediately upon our arrival, I was reminded of my childhood - visiting my grandparents in Tweed (yes, Tweed), in the country, surrounding by corn and the security that you can leave your car doors unlocked without someone stealing them. It even smelled the same!!
We were introduced to our sleeping quarters - the old cow milking house that was converted to a guest house (I know some of you may be thinking - well girls, I suppose that suits you well.... to you I say, I am not a cow!). We settled in and went to sit and chat with the family. We met Angelique's husband, Albert, as well as their two kids, Bram and Joanne. Just because the kids don't speak your language doesn't mean you can't get along with them. We also met Erik (Angelique's brother) and obviously Jo and Frans.... Jo is my mom's first cousin if you were wondering.
We ate a fantastic dinner which of course contained applesauce, potatoes, and meat. My little sister would have loved it since she used to put applesauce on everything she ate.
After our bellies were full with amazing Dutch food, we took the horses out for a carriage ride though the country. The horse farted, I was blamed (not fair).
It was decided once we returned to the house that we would go over to see Martien (Jo's brother... also my mother's cousin) and his wife Leen to say hello and look at their garden (April has this weird flower obsession lately). Erik and Angelique took us over in a 1956 Netherlands army jeep - so loud, yet so fun (much like the aforementioned action the horse did earlier in the evening).
Leen recognized me right away as Betsy's daughter - surprise!! Then we sat and enjoyed some double strength Grimbergen with grenadine syrup - mmmm. Martien's brother Huub and his wife came over too - then the party really got started - oooooooooh. The night ended with a tour of the property - I swear it's every kid's dream - toys, games, forest, canoes, tennis courts, bicycles, every you could ever imagine... and more!
We woke up around 9:30 the next morning and we were treated with a great big breakfast. After which we went for a 15km bike ride through the woods and the country. If you haven't tried a Dutch bike, you are really missing out on something important in life.
We spent the day relaxing on the farm and playing with the kids - the trampoline and the pony were big hits with us. Bram and I played soccer while Joanne and April styled a mannequin head's hair... creepy yet so normal.
We were then driven to Boekel to meet the other side of the crazy Dutch family..... Boekel!!
Tuesday, August 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment