Wednesday, November 19, 2008

French TV

You know, I wouldn't mind watching some shows on French television, but it seems that they are either English shows that have been dubbed (so they are just not the same) - i.e. "Free ends", known in the not-so-French accent to us as Friends - or just really awful shows to watch. So don't blame me if I haven't been too submersed in the French television scene.

What do we watch if we're bored? Well, we watch a lot of MTV and other music channels. This is mainly for two reasons:
  1. MTV dubs its shows in French, but they don't mute the English in the background. Therefore if both April and I are watching it, I can listen to the French and April can listen to the English so we both know what's going on. And if you know MTV shows at all, it's very interesting to see how they translate "That girl ain't gon' hit it wit' my man!" or "It's MY sweet sixteen, so everything is my way and I want a Range Rover with a rare white unicorn in the back", etc. etc.

  2. The music channels are mainly English songs, so we can try to keep up to date as to what type of music people are listening to over here (and hopefully in Canada too).
Right now, I am watching a show called "Chopé par les keufs" (Busted By the Cops)- there's a 21-year old guy getting arrested for peeing in public. Oh MTV, you rot my brain.

No comments: