The fuss? A LOT OF PEOPLE.
The train was packed, the streets were packed, the red carpet was packed, and the beach was packed.
We got there, saw the red carpet (which no one was on yet cause it was 3pm, but the area surrounding the red carpet fence was PACKED with people hoping to catch a glimpse of someone famous...4 hours later).
Then we went and laid on the beach to catch a little sun. This was easier said than done considering it was 5:00pm, but it was nice to have a sleep. Deciding that we needed to get some food, we headed up to the main road where, low and behold, we saw Juliette Binoche from Chocolat in her car on the way to the red carpet. Yes ladies and gents, we saw a celeb at the Cannes Film Festival. Following the crowds, we decided to ask a cop for directions to the grocery store (in French, mind you), cause we weren't in the mood to wander. Well, Mr. Funny Guy Cop replies with "McDonalds?" and we're like "No, the grocery store", he says "McDonald's?" and then proceeds to tell us where to go for groceries. I guess cops in Cannes get kick backs for sending tourists to MacDoe's.
ANYWAYS, we get some food, head back to the beach and now both Ryan and Julie have to pee (are we seeing a pattern here Julie?). At 50 cents a pop, they decided to be cheap and just go in together. Well someone walks up and goes "Is someone in there?". I reply with "Ya, they'll be out in a minute." He goes, "They? Are they going to be the 20 minute maximum?" (yes the bathroom has a 20 minute maximum, I'm assuming for situations like this guy is suggesting) and I'm like "oh crap" and proceed to get the camera out. Well the camera doesn't work, but they walk out together and we all laugh. Then it's down to the beach to eat some dinner and get good seats for the movie.
While waiting for the movie to start, I have to go to the bathroom and learn that right beside where Julie and Ryan paid to pee and be embarrassed, there is a complimentary bathroom. HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Anyways, back in our seats there is a guy yelling "choux-choux", which means cabbages in French, but he's actually selling peanuts. So, we call him over try to buy 2 bags for 3 euros and end up getting 3 for 4 euros cause he doesn't want to give us change.
Then a band from Norway comes on stage and plays some crazy music for half an hour and finally the movie begins. Titled "A Soundtrack for a Revolution", it's about the civil rights movement in the US during the 1960s. It's fairly good, but despite that, the comfy chairs and the amount of sun I got knocks me out for the last hour (if you know me at all, you know this is a common theme for me while watching movies). I am informed when I wake up however, that during the last 30 minutes, the audio messed up and didn't match up with the video. Don't you just hate it when that happens?
Oh and in case you're wondering why none of the pictures have lots of people in them, it's cause we avoid crowds at all costs!
1 comment:
Wow, your weekend seemed really fun!!! Unfortunately we didn't have the chance to meet...
By the way, I love Nice!! :)
Nice blog!
Rafaela (from CS)
Post a Comment